Responsibilities for SWCDs in the state are outlined in the New Mexico Soil and Water Conservation District Act
(73-20-45 et. seq. NMSA):
- control and prevention of soil erosion;
- prevention of sediment and floodwater damage;
- furthering the conservation, development, beneficial application and proper disposal of water;
- promoting the use of impounded water for recreation, propagation of fish and wildlife, irrigation, and for urban and industrial needs;
- by the application of these measures, conserving and developing the natural resources of the state, providing for flood control, preserving wildlife, protecting the tax base, and promoting the health, safety and general welfare of the people of New Mexico.